Thursday, June 7, 2007

Motivation Statement

Let’s face it, by education I’m a computer geek. Growing up, I enjoyed working with computers, and in college I found myself gravitating toward a career in that field without giving a lot of thought to the alternatives. In truth, I never thought much about the Peace Corps then. I’ve been employed at IBM now for about 4 years. I can describe what I do in a lot of techno-babble, but basically I solve problems people are experiencing with their computers, to make them operate faster and more efficiently. I like what I do, and I’m good at it.

So how does a computer geek become interested in the Peace Corps? People are not one-dimensional, and that’s even true of computer geeks. As an adult, I became exposed to people and cultures which I never encountered growing up. I am often referred to as a cultural assimilator by my friends. I always take any chance I get to go to a new cultural event. I’ve had opportunities travel abroad. These cross cultural experiences have been very enriching to me. They have opened up a whole new way to think about how the world works. They have changed my views and, more importantly, led me to think in broader terms about what it is I should be doing with my life.

It is natural (or so it seems to me) to want to make a positive difference somewhere. And if such a desire is natural, it follows logically that it is natural to want to make the biggest positive difference possible, consistent with one’s own capabilities. I feel I would be good at the Peace Corps. To the Peace Corps I would bring not only my training as an engineer and my ability to tackle unfamiliar problems, but also my love for the world and my desire to help a lot of different people. With no disrespect for the many other individuals of diverse backgrounds who serve in the Peace Corps, I believe I could be useful in ways that many people can't. The Peace Corps would allow all of my skills to be developed and put to use in a single place. I hope to be able to broaden my own skills and experiences at the same time that I contribute something of value for the benefit of other cultures with which I come in contact.

4 comments:

Pista 2 de foietes said...

Man! I was just hanging around internet world, than I decided to type Travis Haasch in google and found this!

Finally you decide to join peace corp as you told me saveral times.

I'm really impress, and wish you all the best there.

Here in Spain, everything is going well, I'll be a father in End February or Beggininfg March if eberything goes well.

I'll try to reach this blog from time to time and hope to read about you frequently,

Keep in contact

Unknown said...

Hey Travis...just thought about you today while reading some news on the Elections in Georgia.
I hope all is well with you and I'm proud of your devotion to bring change.

PS: Read you blog too and loved your message.
Tabby!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
გია ჩხარტიშვილი said...

გაუმარჯოს ტრევისს ის ძალიან კარგ საქმესს აკეთებს საქართველოსთვის.